Bertha and I spent from September 7th, 2011 to September 26th at the Old Hesselgesser Place in Baker , Nevada.

Bob and Darlene Wyllie offered the use of the House for our Family members who were coming to meet with us to Scatter Dad's Ashes

(Tom Sims)

down on Kern Mountain near Tungstonia.

While writing in Darlene's log book about our stay I suddenly realized that a whole lot of memories about early Baker town were pulled up out of my brain so I have decided to jot down a few to leave to posterity as I am nearing 70 years old and still have pretty vivid memories.

I first came to Baker (I was 11 years old) in August of 1953. Dad was in the process of leasing the Baker Garage from Ralph Kaufman.

The first kids I met was the Robison boys, Don, Jerry and Doug. Archie and his family were vacating the Log House

across from the Garage

(The house Where I grew up)

and Moving to Ely.

Jerry was in the process of teaching Doug how to throw a balsa wood airplane, I remember how he told Doug that if the wings were pulled forward in the slot the plane would do loops and if the wings were pulled back the plane would fly straighter and farther and more level. We all stood in the middle of the highway and spent all afternoon taking turns at throwing the airplane to see who could make it land on the white line (Not much through traffic in those days ) so we were never in any danger from approaching cars.

I also met the Gregory boys, Duane and Gary who were in town from 2 miles south on a Ford-son tractor to eat supper with their Mother (Thelma) who was running the Only Cafe in town (who she ran for Fred Horlacher) which also doubled as one of the two Bars. The other Bar the Old "Bolivar Bill" was Run by Al and Hilda Kleeman who also had a son, Elwood.

Tommy my brother was only 5 or 6 then and Susan was just a toddler, although I think she was talking already, and Douglas of course had not been born yet. At that time I will try and remember who all lived there and the surrounding area.

As stated before Ralph and Hedie ((Hedwig)she told mom later how she hated to be called that )Kaufman lived up the alley from us. Merlin and Rhoda Terry lived next door and were the Family Grocery store and Motel for the town. Fred Horlacher did have some cabins that he rented out sometimes but most of the time they were occupied by hired hands of the Big Ranch , which was Ran by Earl and Dolores Edgar.

George and Ava Baker lived in the House below the pond (which was located where the Post Office building is now.) Just to the left of the pond Martin and Gene Baker and (Patsy who was Susan's age)lived and next to them Howard and Vanda and Tootie (Ana Maria) and Carl and Merna lived.

Down the lane behind the Forest Service Station was Where Ross and Rhea Craner and children Johnny and Donna lived. (later on Wesley and Marthella Jordan moved there with their kids Ronnie and Rick.)

Lester Fluegiger lived in the house next to the Forest Service Station and was my Scout master after I became a boy scout.

South of the Store was the house where Cliff Bellander and Billie Simonson lived with their children Sharon and Danny.

Mrs. Gruden (Madeline Smiths Mother) lived in the house South of the Creek which sat all by itself up on the hill Across from the Old Pond house. (Which by the way does not look much different today than it did then) I am surprised that it is still standing.

South of town 2 miles was Gregory's Peach Orchard. ( Fred and Thelma , Marlene, Duane, Gary ) South of there was Grant Smiths home who was the Baker water master and drove a Model A Ford with a Rumble seat to take care of the Baker Water turns.

West of town was the Hesselgesser place, Harry and Mamie and their Family lived there. Then further up the Cave Road and it seemed like a long way was Lehman Caves. In between The Old High School building (which also served the Town as the LDS Church) was a Cabin that Ole Olson lived in (I think he was uncle to Thelma Gregory)

In The old P. P. Hoover house across from the Forest Station John Cheech and Gerry Murcich lived.

And every summer ,Jim Potter lived in his Sheep Wagon to the north of our Log house ,between Kauffman's yard and the post office.

North of town was the Bellander place. Glen and Claudia and (Daughter) Kareen lived in one house and (Son) Devon and Betty and their son Terry lived in the other.

Bryan and Chloe Robison

lived on the place east of the Y (where the Baker road met US 6 & 50 ) and The Bunkers lived in the place west of the Silver Creek road

George and Mabel Robison lived at the upper place on Weaver creek.

I think Alf Bellander and his Family were still on the Silver Creek place.

Daw and Jerry Robison with kids Linda and Judy and Connie, Jackie Cole and his wife lived at the Highway maintenance station across Highway 6 & 50 from George Robinsons. on the road to Strawberry Creek.

Pop and Gracie Wersenderfer lived up Oceola and Joe and Virginia Eldridge and Kids Daisy, Cecelia, and David lived up Black Horse.

And although I never went to school with the kids until high-school. Mike Drackulich and his wife with kids Jeanie and Julie and Milan. Lived at the D bar X on Sacramento Pass.

Shorty Beckstead and Virginia Eldridge's Sister Ellen, Ran Ryan's place at the turn off to Oceola on the east side of Sacramento Pass. they had a bunch of kids and I cannot remember all the names. Only Katheleen and Raymond comes to mind and they were about my age. That historical building (Ryan's Place) some know it as Dora's was moved from its location to The Hesselgesser place in Baker Later on, I recognized the building when we camped there this summer. And Brent Eldridge (My best man at my wedding) told me that Gilbert Roselund and him moved the building from that site to Baker for the Hesselgessers.

Uncle John Fielding owned the Ranch where the School of Natural Order is now. (they purchased it from him ) he was My Grandmothers (Estella Rawlinson) , sister's Husband and Lawrence , Johnny and Virginia's (Eldridge) Dad and he was a Tour Guide at the Caves and the Best one ever, as far as I am concerned.

Pete and Trudy Kaufman (Ralphs Brother) lived at the Lehman Caves along with some others I can't recall.

Emory Mecham was still in the House at the Old Rollin Ranch. Can't remember if his wife was still alive then but I think not.

Ralph Kaufman taught me how to fish on the Rollin Ranch he loaned me a long bamboo fly rod and we tied a short piece of fly line to the end and a long piece of leader with a hook on the end. We used angle worms most of the time we had dug from the rich black dirt on the creeks banks. and sometimes grasshoppers. we caught a lot of fish in those days , Ralph and Hedie loved trout and I or my family didn't care for them so most of my fish went to Hedie which she cleaned and fried up for Ralph and her. with some going in her freezer to cook later on and some she canned .

I can remember taking the flashlight out to look at the big coca cola thermometer that Dad had on the Shop front door, in anticipation of Ice skating once the temps started to Drop in the fall it took a long time for the ice get hard and thick enough for us to go ice skate on , but when it did we would spend all day on the ice playing stick hockey and learning to Duck walk and spin.

We also waited for the creek from the diversion head box down to Baker to Freeze over and then we would walk up to the weir then find long areas of ice we could slide on down to Baker sometimes you could slide for a long ways depending on how hard you slammed it down when you started.

We also made ski's from an old wooden barrel behind the shop . the barrel stays would be fitted with a leather strap over the middle and fastened to the side with staples then our shoes would fit in the loop that it made and we would try and see who could stand up longest on the hills that we slid down. the stays of course were hand sanded down on the bottom and slicked up with some borrowed paraffin wax from Moms canning box.

We also built toboggans from two by fours and old corrugated tin we found from someone's barn roof and would find the largest hill we could find when the snow was deep enough and then two or more would take each toboggan and see who could reach the bottom the fastest. In the Summer when school was out we slept every night on the back lawn wrapped up in Dads old army comforters. Staring at the milky way and planets and wondering if we were all that was here or if others were there too. and telling ghost stories and jokes until we got sleepy.

We spent days on end hunting jack rabbits with lemon wood long bows and homemade arrows made from rose briar stems and with a tin can lid folded over and secured with bailing wire to form a hunting head. some times we had target arrows we got in Ely but they were expensive and we lost a lot.

We also hunted lizards with our bb guns whenever we could afford bb's.

One of our greatest feats was to ride down from church road to the intersection of the cave road and Main highway where George Bakers reservoir was and because it was at an angle to the cave road , if you lifted up on the front wheel on your bike at the moment you crossed the Main highway you could actually get airborne for a short distance and land on the road past the reservoir. Of course the farthest jump was declared the winner.

Swimming was done daily at someone's reservoir, there were several , Gregory's had one for the peach orchard. we liked it a lot cause the boys had fashioned out a spring set up from a buckboard to fit under the long 3"X16" board we used as a diving board. the old pond house had a pond for the Big Ranch, George Bakers pond right in town, the lower one at the Big ranch and sometimes Bellanders.

Of course being boys we also made night runs on Ava Baker and Claudia Bellanders Gardens to eat raw potatoes , cucumbers, carrots and radishes.

We hunted arrow heads in several places on the creeks around Baker and up Silver creek we found a lot in the fields north of the big ranch where later on they performed an archeological dig.

Trips to Ely to get groceries was a big treat as we would usually get to eat at Pete's drive-in , and Mom would always go to the 5 and dime store where we could buy bb's and arrows if we could afford them.

Merlin Terry always purchased a Picture Show for viewing on Friday nights at the church on a big screen that was put up on the basket ball court , the camera was upstairs on the stage so it was far enough away to make a real nice big reflection on the screen which was adjusted on the north end. all the shows were black and white but it was only 50 cents to go and I don't think he even got enough back to pay for the rent of the movies.

Later on when Ralph and Dad figured out how to get TV out of Salt Lake City on a tall tower and Yagi array they picked up channel 2 and 4 out of Salt Lake where as before Ralph could only pick up channel 5 with the antenna he had. Ralph then bought a RCA Color TV. and Us kids would go watch the Cisco Kid, Lone Ranger and Roy Rogers on his TV. Dads TV only got Black and White but we did watch the wrestling matches on channel 5 out of SLC. Not real clear but pretty good.

Dads supply of Utoco gas and diesel came from Delta and the Guy who ran the truck Dad knew from his childhood by the name of Newl Knight. He would bring me Comic books that were left over when the store in Delta tore the Front pages off of them to Re-order new ones. What a fine day that was , he usually brought a big box probably 25 or 30 books in it all different kinds. Superman , Plastic man, Donald Duck, Archie and Jug Head horror stories, and classics. I usually had at least a month of reading. Of course Rhoda hated it when Newl came cause then I didn't spend money on comic books at her store and I was one of her good customers.

We Played Marbles , everyone had stock and special and shooters , and we would draw a circle on the ground with a stick and then play , different games but one I enjoyed most was pottsies , where a small hole was dug in the middle of the circle and the circle filled by each player adding an equal amount of stock marble to the circle. you lagged to see who was the first shooter. the object was to shoot a stock marble inside the ring with the shooter outside of the circle and knock it out of the circle once the shooter was in and a marble knocked out, he collected the marble and continued shooting from within the circle all marbles knocked out became the shooters marble and he put them in his bag. The shooter shot until he missed or fouled , at such time he placed a stock marble in the pot , then it became the next persons turn. play continued until all stock marbles were knocked out of the ring without the shooters marble leaving the ring. if the shooter missed a shot and his shooter went out of the ring he placed 2 marbles in the pot as it was counted as 2 fouls. the last stock marble knocked out of the circle the shooter collected the marble knocked out and also the pot.

We also played a game in the alley in the evening when we could get enough kids gathered. We called it Kick the Can (I know there are other names). One was chosen to be it. then they would give count , usually to 10 or 20 out loud and the others would run and hide in the alley. The chosen would set up a tin can in the middle of the alley and then slowly search for other players , If one was spotted then the chosen ran to the can and jumped over it , proclaiming "over the can for Whoever was spotted" the spotted person came in and was placed in a circle called the jail. The hidden players would try to sneak in on the chosen and if successful could kick the can and declare all the prisoners free. The last person caught was the new it. or the chosen was declared winner and picked one of the others for the next round.

Another great sport "Carping" we called it was getting a grown-up to drive us down to Garrison Lake (Pruess Lake) and we would head down the Sloughs at the south end which were almost like small canals that run into the lake backed up by a dam. In these sloughs were a lot of carp and they grew pretty large. we would wade the black stinking water and skirt the canals for sign usually indicated by a V on the surface of the water. we would then try and shoot an arrow into the carp from the bank , if done successful we would then jump in the canal and throw the carp up on the bank, if the shot missed we would jump in and retrieve the arrow because they were expensive and we only had a few. I remember a lot of carp over 20 inches in length. And we never kept any cause they were mud suckers and not for eating. Of course we wore swimming trunks and tennis shoes, so the mud came off easy afterwards in the lake and of course we would then swim until some-one came back and picked us up.

Hunting lizards, jackrabbits, crows and badgers was the other sport and after we became old enough to obtain 22 rifles we done a lot more shooting with them , than with the bows or bb-guns.

Fishing was good on every creek around and we done a lot of fishing. you could keep 15 fish of any size back then and still be legal if checked by a game warden, But Bud Gale lived in Ely and was seldom seen in Baker usually only during deer season. We liked Baker Creek the best, because it had a lot of beaver dams from the Cabin down to the Lower Camp-Ground and the big browns hid in that deep water. Lehman Creek was good for planters cause the tourists that visited the Caves usually camped on Lehman. Snake creek was good but too far away for most of the time before we could drive.

Silver Creek was good but Until the Big Ranch put in the dam to back up the reservoir the fish never got too big. And of course all the reservoirs around were usually good for some large rainbows and a few browns, and Dolly Vardens. The two at the big Ranch were the best and usually produced large fish.

Living in a small community like Baker with the Local Store ran by the Mormon Bishop and his wife, the Old Baker High School building was used for the Church/Community hall. We attended Church, Sunday School, Priesthood, Primary and Boy Scouts all in the same place. Although I never embraced the Religion I attended all of those and graduated from Primary . All of the kids from Garrison ,Utah would attend Primary so it was a weekly get-to-gather for us kids from both schools. We would play before and after in the Church yard.

I attended 5th Grade through 8th Grade at the One Room School House with Harriet Petersen as my Teacher ,

she taught all 8 grades and would attend to everyone she was a good teacher and an excellent reader. She would read continued stories to us every afternoon and it was always something to look forward to. We also put on Plays that Harriet taught us with our parts memorized on mimeographed paper sheets she made in her evenings after school. We usually had the Plays in the Church as it had a nice stage and curtains to use as a theater. And of course we played Basket-ball on the gym floor after Church and Priesthood and Boy Scout meetings. Gary Gregory and I would go every Saturday afternoon and set up all the chairs in the gym for Church the next day and of course we always had lots of help to put them away after as everyone was eager to get to playing basket ball.

I usually stayed for, from 2 to 4 weeks on Uncle Cecil and Aunt Noma Bates's

Place in Gandy Utah during the summer. There were a lot of boys there , Lanny, Jerald, Ronald, Bates Myself and Usually Jimmy Wilfong spent summers there. Some times even Dale and Darrel Bates would tag along but they were younger and Lanny and Jerald wouldn't let them most times because of having to watch out for them. Days were spent hunting and exploring the Ranch, most days we walked up to the Upper Ranch where George Sims and Velma lived with their Kids , Mostly Girls Ellen,Verna ,Mary and others and only one Boy Robert. But he was pretty young and we were older boys so he never got much attention from us. We would walk through the upper field to the Warm Springs that fed the Valley, the water was always warm and refreshing and we had a place in the upper field where we could place a canvas dam and back up the water into a pretty good swimming hole. There was some holes right at the spring but they were small and not all of us could get in at once.

We would also climb up in the orchard Above Cecil's place in the Mulberry trees eat Mulberries until we filled up and of course used the juice to paint up our bodies in all sorts of different designs. Uncle Cecil always took us fishing down to Birch Creek up by Trout Creek and have a great Picnic outing, Aunt Noma was a great cook and we always had something real good to eat for lunch and she always had homemade pies. We always had hooks and sinkers and leader tucked away in our pockets, as one never knew when the opportunity would come for fishing. We would cut Birch or willow poles from the creek bank and tie on the stuff we needed and then catch grasshoppers to use for bait. Uncle Cecil cooked what we caught in a cast iron skillet on the campfire with a lot of lard and cooked real brown and crisp, tasty but full of bones you had to spit out when you bit to deep. so I never acquired a deep affection for small trout.

Uncle Cecil also had an old pool table in the Log house adjacent to the House we played pool for hours upon hours it had plenty of room around 3 sides but if you had to shoot from the north side there was a cut off stick we called "Shorty" everyone would use to make the shot.

Summers at Uncle Cecil's place was a fond memory and childhood scruples were born on that Ranch as Uncle Cecil was pretty strict and Honest as the day is long.

I pumped Gas at the station in Baker and fixed tires. I learned where all the gas caps were hidden on the new cars (the 57 gmc cars was behind the lever on the tail light assembly and Cadillac was under the license plate ) I washed windows and checked fan belts and Oil while the Gas was pumping. I sometimes got a tip but back then it was for doing a good job on the windshield. Gas was 37 cents a gallon. we got a lot of people off of 6 & 50 who would put in 2 dollars worth to get them to Ely where Gas was 10 cents cheaper. No one tipped for pumping gas or checking oil and water it was just expected at a full service station.

Bryan Robison used to come in with flat tires alot , and I used to dread his coming as the old GMC pick-up had split rim tires and they were a chore to break down. the Old breaker bar was a long slide handle hammer and it took a mighty lick to get the bead off so you could take apart the tire and patch the tube. then I would find the hole in the tube by placing it in the half of a 50 gallon drum filled with water we kept outside on the corner of the shop by the water faucet. once the hole was located , I dried the tube and then scrubbed it with a buffer, a small file like apparatus and then I applied the starter glue , then placed the tube over the vulcanizer and place the patch over the hole. the patch was on a small tin cup that had sulfur soaked cork in it. the patch also had a plastic cover on it that had to be removed. once placed on the machine the vise clamp was attached so that the vise squeezed the patch tight on the tube. Then I took my pocket knife and poked it in the cork and made a small piece stand up , then I lit it with a kitchen match and stood back. The smoke and fire would start in the tin and would heat the patch up. after the smoke cleared I would wait till the patched cooled some then remove the tin . If done correct the patch would be vulcanized to the tube and the repair was good. I then checked it again with the 25 gallon water trough and then reversed the procedure to finish, by putting the tire, tube and rim back together. which usually required a big sledge hammer to beat the ring back on the rim. All in all it probably took 2 hours to do one tire and Dad only charged 3.00 per flat plus the patch and tax. And sometimes Bryan had more than one Flat. Oh what I would have give for a machine like discount tires uses now that can change a tubeless tire in less time than I could get the rim apart on one of Bryan's tires.

I won 5 silver dollars and a plaque once from Gates Fan belt company, from telling a guy from Gates that was called the Mystery Man that he needed a new belt on his car engine. He drove around the country and when someone would suggest he replace his fan belt he would spring the surprise on them.

The article of course is hype as we probably only sold 1 fan belt every 6 months. and 120 people was a conservative estimate for around 35 to 40 people if you included the Lehman Cave people. and my words were "No Shit " not what the article said but I guess they couldn't print that back then. But I made the local paper the Ely Daily Times so I guess my 15 minutes of fame was fulfilled

I graduated 8th Grade from Baker in May of 1956 and entered White Pine High School in Ely in September. Freshman hazing included white-washing the WP rocks above Ely with Lime and Water. I remember the boy freshman wore outfits to represent Daisy-mae

and the girl freshman wore Little Abner costumes.

And upper classmen still used the paddle with holes in it if you worked to slow .

High School Students from Baker and Surrounding area were boarded out in Ely by the Week. Monday through Friday we attended School , then Friday one of the Parents would come and pick up all the Kids and shuttle them home. Another would Take them in On Monday and the Parents took turns with the shuttle. Dads Station wagon was well suited for it cause with Mom Driving we could cram at least 5 or 6 of us into the car as it had a big back seat. the School Board give the Parents a check for 50 Dollars a Month for the purpose.

My Freshman year I boarded with Daisy, Cecelia and David Eldridge in a small house on Ave I. Sophomore year with Mom and Dad's Friends Ken and Eva Sudweeks. My Junior and Senior Year I lived with Dad's Brother Phillip Sims On Ave I again.

I remember working for Freddy Baker on the Big Ranch after he bought it from Roy Raymond in 1957 (who bought it from Earl Edgar), hauling chopped feed hay to his brother Rich Bakers place in Delta, Utah usually just one trip a day cause the old trucks never went too fast over Kings Canyon.

Later on that fall the 2nd Snake Valley reunion was at hand(the First was held the Circle driveway at the Caves) and Freddy offered his barn for the Dance. Us kids were all excited cause we were all around 15 or 16 then and dances were places to meet girls and drink beer and whiskey. Ronnie Baker and I and Jimmy Wilfong set out to decorate the barn for the dance. Some how we came up with some crepe paper I think Betty had set aside for a float or something and we used the fork lift and ladders to string crepe paper from the rafters in the barn down to the uprights along the header for the doors. Red White and Blue as I remember so it was a pretty patriotic decoration. A group from Delta came out to play live Music and The Dance was a great success and became an annual event for the Valley on Labor day week-end.

The Bar-b-Q was held on Sundays ,and back then and we used the Circle Campground in Lehman Creek for the occasion. The meat was donated by the Valley ranchers and cooked in burlap wraps on top of mahogany coals (after the bon fire was burnt down) in the pit in the old head box at the circle in Lehman Creek on Saturday evening and then closed up to smolder until Sunday Morning . The corn was cooked in new galvanized trash cans over open flames. and the Reunion Staff furnished the Salads and Bread and did all the serving.

Ronnie Jordon and I spent the summer of 1960 after I graduated from White Pine cutting line of sight for the survey team out of Salt Lake City to build the Road to the upper camp grounds under Wheeler Peak. the one we call the High Road now. I had just turned 18 and Ronnie and I decided to go see Chloe Frampton as she was the Selective Service Registrar. We both volunteered for the draft because we could pick our primary M.O.S. and Duty station so we both picked Artillery Survey and Germany as overseas Duty Station. I went to Fort Ord, CA. for my basic training and Ronnie went to Fort Lewis,WA for his (go figure) He shipped out to Okinawa and I went to Germany

(so much for the buddy system we signed up for ) lol.

I was home from Fort Ord on Christmas Leave when I first met Bertha , But she was too young for me to even take notice.(probably around 16) My first thoughts were she was a little girl with too much lip-stick on. It was at a Square Dance that the Club put on every Saturday night some where and usually had a Pot luck Supper. This one was at Julie and Barbara Gregson's place "The Old Bolivar Bill "as the bar had a big room adjacent to it that we could square dance in. Pops Wersenderfer would play the phonograph and call the dances.

I spent my Second 8 weeks in the Army in Fort Sill, Oklahoma in artillery survey school, then in April of 1961 I shipped overseas on a 10 day voyage over the Atlantic Ocean to Hanau Kaserne in Hanau , Germany. I spent from April 1961 to November 1962 almost 18 months overseas. I flew back to the States in November of 1962 flying back over the Atlantic Ocean on "Operation Santa Clause" a surprise early out , engineered by President Kennedy for those Overseas at the time. Finally mustering out in New York city on November 19th ,1962

While I was over in Germany Dad went to work for Lehman Caves in the maintenance department as things were too slow in Baker to keep up the Lease on the Garage.

I got back to Ely the on the 21st of November just in time for Thanksgiving at Phillip and Marylin's with Mom and Dad. Then we traveled back home to Baker.

That following Spring I went back to work for the Humboldt National Forest Serve on the maintenance crew. I cleaned campgrounds in Baker Creek , Lehman Creek and Snake Creek. I remember meeting Sir Edmund Hillary on Lehman Creek who camped there and walked to the Summit and was planning on doing some practice climbs on the face of Wheeler above the Glacier. I also fixed fence, built trails, fought fires, and helped put in the first water system to the campgrounds in Lehman and Baker Creek.

In December of that year after the Forest job stopped for the winter I again met Bertha Perkins , who was working at The Baker store. This time she was a young lady of 17 and quite striking in appearance to this old soldier. We began dating and of course were married in April of 1963 at the Housing section of the Caves in Mom and Dads place(which was the first building moved to the housing section) by Eli Evascovich the Justice of Peace for Ely who came out just to perform the marriage.

Our first home was a small 18 foot camp trailer I bought from Martin Baker who at that time Owned the Border Inn and was one that he had taken in on someone's bar bill. We moved it in back of the Bar ran by Julie and Barbara Gregson and ran power from the back of the bar to the trailer we also dug the line for water. Tommy and I dug the septic system by hand with bars and shovels.

That summer in August ,Johnny Eldridge and I along with Roy Goodwin, Fred Solace and some University Of Utah people cut down the tree known as "Prometheus'' in Great Basin National Park Literature , but we worked for Humboldt National Forest Service at the time before the Park was created. We had a chore keeping the chain saws running at the 10,000 foot altitude and it took one day to pack in and 2 days to pack everything out. Wesley Jordan was working for Humboldt also and he ran the pack string of horses for us.

These photos were taken 10 years apart of the actual stump we cut in 1963.

We lived in Baker when president Kennedy was assassinated and watched Oswald get shot live on the TV above the Bar in Julie and Barbs place and of course all the coverage by Walter Cronkite for the whole week, as Bertha and I could not afford a TV yet. We always traveled up to the Circle to Mom and Dads on Tuesday evenings as Mom would cook Spaghetti and we could all watch the Red Skelton show on their TV.

The next Summer we moved to Silver Creek where Bertha's Dad leased the Silver Creek Ranch from Freddy Baker. We had a nice spot in the Orchard , Shady and cool lived there for a couple of Months.

Spike Hofheins , Joe Larson and I spent part of that spring and summer doing bug survey for the Forest Service in Baker and Lehman Creek. Wesley Jordon Packed us In and we camped in a big army tent and we walked the grids mapped out for us on paper. we had nice cots to sleep on and good sleeping bags but we had to do our own cooking which got pretty tedious I remember we ate a lot of hot dogs and hamburgers, bacon and eggs while the meat stayed fresh and then relied on staples for the rest of the week. Like peanut butter and jelly and canned meat and beans lol. we would work 10 days straight then Wesley would come and pack us out for 4 days off.

when the Price of copper went up in 1964 Kennecott Copper Corporation was hiring so I applied for a Job at McGill. in September I was Hired along with Joe Larson who had worked with me on The Forest Job . He went to Ruth to work and I went to McGill.

Bertha and I moved to Ely later that month and rented the place I boarded in for Junior and Senior years in Ely on Ave. I , Philip and Marylin bought Fred Larsens house next door to us.

Fred Larsen still owned the one we rented and Fred Only charged us $50 a month.

So ended my Baker years.